[Catalyst] O'Reilly Radar

David Romano david.romano at gmail.com
Thu Dec 8 20:02:18 CET 2005

On 12/8/05, Christopher H. Laco <claco at chrislaco.com> wrote:
> Whah? I think O'Reilly has, or is slipping off the deep end over the
> last year. I'm not sure if it's a too-big-for-our-britches syndrome, or
> just a loss of touch with the community; the flip flop from publishing
> quality books towards publishing what buzzwords the sheep hear and look for.
I'm pretty new to the Perl community, and the last few months I've
heard about O'Reilly books like PBP, Learning Perl(4th ed.), Perl
Testing: A Developer's Notebook, and the forthcoming Intermediate
Perl. What are "buzzwords" books that you're talking about? Are they
all the books that are published on other languages? Do you see it bad
for O'Reilly to publish books on languages that compete against Perl?
On a different note, whoever the publisher is, I do think that a
Catalyst book would be awesome, and I'd buy one. What about something
with lulu.com? Pros/cons? Is it the advertising from a publisher which
would be the most beneficial for a Catalyst book?

David