[Catalyst] O'Reilly Radar

Danijel Milicevic Danijel.Milicevic at rawmode.org
Thu Dec 8 21:04:21 CET 2005

Hi,

On Thu, 2005-12-08 at 14:45 -0500, Aaron Peterson wrote:
> I have a friend who has published with O'Reilly before, and he has
> given me the impression that O'Reilly likes to initiate the idea that
> a book needs to be written.  They don't like to be solicited to.  So,
> perhaps if at some point in the future Catalyst becomes a well known
> competitor in the framework space, they will begin looking for someone
> to write the O'Reilly book.  Continuing to advertise and attract more
> users is probably a good way to eventually get their attention...

I don't know where this urge to publish under O'Reilly is coming from
and to be honest I think this thread is pretty much pointless. If there
is a chance to publish a Catalyst book (which should IMO be written by
at least Sebastian Riedel and maybe some other developers), then I
wouldn't mind if it has a animal on it, red Addison-Wesley triangles or
the whatever publisher is giving Catalyst a chance.

I know I'd buy it and I agree with you that we should keep advertising
and try to attract more people to Catalyst, but not for the sake of
being asked by O'Reilly to write a book for them. We should do it
because Catalyst is a great framework that really speeds up the WebDev
process (at least for me).

Danijel

P.s.: this reply was directed to all involved in this thread, not really
a direct reply to your posting :)