[Catalyst] O'Reilly Radar

Michael Richards mdrichards at gmail.com
Thu Dec 8 21:56:34 CET 2005

On 12/8/05, Ovid <publiustemp-catalyst at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I also have friends in the book industry outside of tech books (both
> authors and sellers) and they'll all tell you the same thing:
> self-published books are nearly worthless in terms of money made --
> it's usually money lost -- and credibility.  There's a good reason that
> self-published books are referred to as "vanity books".  That's not to
> say that all self-published books are just vanity books, but that's the
> stigma they're stuck with.  Booksellers will usually refuse to carry
> them.  I don't know about online booksellers.
>
> For a Catalyst book to be taken seriously, I highly doubt that
> self-publishing is the way to go but I've been wrong before.

There is a big difference between self publishing via your own imprint and
self publishing via one of these vanity publishers. Perhaps one of the
biggest downsides of using a vanity publisher (besides that books stores
wont shelf your work) is that a real publisher wont get near it even if it
turns out to be a great seller.

Michael