[Catalyst] O'Reilly Radar

Wade.Stuart at fallon.com Wade.Stuart at fallon.com
Fri Dec 9 04:28:23 CET 2005

> On Thu, 2005-12-08 at 13:19 -0500, claco at chrislaco.com wrote:
>
> > Whah? I think O'Reilly has, or is slipping off the deep end over the
> > last year. I'm not sure if it's a too-big-for-our-britches syndrome, or
> > just a loss of touch with the community; the flip flop from publishing
> > quality books towards publishing what buzzwords the sheep hear andlook
for.

> I don't think that's fair, unless you know the economics of running a
> publishing company.  Don't mistake "has a mailing list with a couple of
> dozen posts a day" with "will sell enough copies to make it worth the
> investment of time and money and opportunity that everyone involved
> could spend on a project with a dozen mailing lists and hundreds of
> posts every day."
>
> That said, if you can line up several thousand solid pre-orders of a
> Catalyst book, you can improve the chances of getting it published.
>
> Not a book editor and definitely not speaking for O'Reilly,
> -- c

Good to see you on the list chromatic (I like the dev notebook layout. Nat
seemed really excited about them too when I saw him at search champs).

I agree this thread is not useful and only poisoning the waters.  Tim
has done great things for Perl over the years and does not deserve this
kind of harassment.

Catalyst is still fairly new.
The API is still somewhat in flux.
We do not have any very big well known killer sites based on it yet.
We are still working out the plugins for Auth and other addons.
We have not "popped" mainstream yet.

When we get these things in order, this web toolkit will become more
appetizing
to publishers.  Like has been stated before in this thread, it actually
does
some disservice to publish books before their time.  After this is in order
and
Cat gains market share then it would make sense to lobby Tim or other
publishers
for a book.