[Catalyst] [RFC] C::P::Scheduler - cron-like scheduling of events

Yuval Kogman nothingmuch at woobling.org
Mon Dec 12 08:37:54 CET 2005

On Sun, Dec 11, 2005 at 23:01:24 -0500, Andy Grundman wrote:
> I have a need for a simple scheduling plugin to do things like clean up database sessions, so I roughed out docs
> for a new plugin called Scheduler.  If you've got any thoughts or suggestions, please let me know. :)

There are a bunch of cron scheduler thingies on the CPAN, i think we
should use one of them instead of rolling our own.

Also, how does it get initiated?

I was thinking the simplest way to run it is via a cron script, and
the catalyst scheduler thing just checks if it needed to do
something between the last invocation and this one.

This does not contradict:...

> Depending on the level of traffic to the application, events may or may
> not run at exactly the correct time, but it should be enough to satisfy many
> basic scheduling needs.

This seems to imply that it runs after finalize if needed... How
does this work with respect to long running jobs?

I think we should support both invocation styles.

I also things that plugins should be able to register for scheduled
events... For example the session store plugins have a default daily
run of delete_expired_sessions, but the user can change (or disable)
this.

 /\  kung foo master: MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM: neeyah!