[Catalyst] (no subject)

John Wang johncwang at gmail.com
Tue Dec 13 16:38:19 CET 2005

On 12/13/05, Karl.Moens at marsh.com <Karl.Moens at marsh.com> wrote:

> To have only one book's detail open at a time was a design decision in
> order no to clutter/overload the interface, but maybe that is something we
> should leave to the users? If they want to overload the screen, hey, it's
> their screen isn't it?

It's more common UI design to have a [+] open the widget and [-] to close
the widget without affecting other widgets. To have a [+] open a widget and
close all others is a bit unexpected. However, you can keep that design with
DHTML as well and still avoid the multiple round trips, providing a faster
experience.

Your suggestion to have all info available on a
> page by page basis is really something to look into. Unfortunately DHTML
> is
> not one of my strong points, but I will see if I can find some tutorial
> somewhere. If you have any suggestions ...

Type [dhtml show hide] into a search engine and you should get lots of
tutorials with client code snippets. This is a very common design element.
I've played with some but it seems like I might end up writing my own since
I have a few more requirements and I'd like to make it Perl friendly. I haven't
checked to see if this functionality is available on CPAN yet.

John