[Catalyst] Unpack and Run vs. Install and Run Catalyst apps

Christopher H. Laco claco at chrislaco.com
Tue Dec 13 22:36:03 CET 2005

While working on Meios, I've had this question rolling around my head.
When, why, and how many people actually "make install" their catalyst
applications, and how how people just unpack and run them in the
directory they come in (or pointing Apache to load from there)?

Meios, for example is designed to just be unpacked and run as is. Since
95% of it is not reusable modules, installing then into the perl lib
tree makes no sense. I would assume people are likely using PREFIX to
install apps into another directory somewhere?

Just for the sake of doing it, I created My::App, package it up,
unpacked it, and did a "perl Makefile.PL PREFIX=C:\foo", make, and make
install.

I now have a shiny new C:\foo directory with My::App in it, albeit in a
directory structure completely unlike what it is during development. (I
actually like the dist structure better).

On a side note, when I ran script/*server.pl from the dist location,
http://localhost:3000/static/images/catalyst_logo.png works. When I ran
bin/*server.pl from the bin directory where PREFIX installed the app,
http://localhost:3000/static/images/catalyst_logo.png doesn't work at
all, even though the files are there. Something make be borken with Static.

-=Chris