[Catalyst] Page layout w/Catalyst

Matt S Trout dbix-class at trout.me.uk
Thu Dec 15 14:44:51 CET 2005

On Thu, Dec 15, 2005 at 02:21:26PM +0100, Kaare Rasmussen wrote:
> > modules.  When you're working with actual code, there isn't really
> > such a beast as "Catalyst".  There is your top-level application
>
> I guess that the question boils down to this. Will I have an action (in my
> application class) for the left menu, one for the top part, the bottom part
> etc. All of which will fire in every request.
>
> Or will I have to explicitly remember to forward() to these actions? Or
> something third?

Depending on how you implement your application you could do any of the
above - or one of a number of other routes.

Catalyst is a framework, not a set of prescribed methods (unlike some other
MVC frameworks :) - stop worrying about "how Catalyst works" and work out
how *you* need to design *your* application for *it* to work best. Once
you've got a design, then worry about how to implement it with Catalyst.
Catalyst will cope just fine :)