[Catalyst] Standalone Install Package?

Krzysztof Krzyżaniak eloy at pawnhearts.eu.org
Mon Dec 19 17:41:32 CET 2005

"Christopher H. Laco" <claco at chrislaco.com> writes:

[..]
> Does anyone see a benefit to having a version of Catalyst that has all
> of the dependencies in it's own extlib directory...something people can
> simply unzip in their home directory and run?

I think it's possible and nice since You don't use architecture dependant
modules (for example Cache::FastMmap is arch-dependant)

Personally (as debian packager) I don't care about modules from which
Catalyst depends. I care about packages which I need to run Catalyst
application. I know about "There Is More Than One Way To Do It", I know
about "freedom of choice" but I wish I have all needed Catalyst plugins in
one package (not meta package as Bundle::Catalyst). In my opinion it
should contains "Core" modules:

- Catalyst::View::TT
- Catalyst::Plugin::Prototype
- Catalyst::Model::DBIC
- Catalyst::Plugin::Session with Catalyst::Plugin::Session::Store::*
- Catalyst::Plugin::Authentication with Catalyst::Plugin::Authentication::Store::*
- some validation framework (HTML::Widget looks nice)

And I think there shouldbe published some common patterns (Advent
Calendar is great!) how to use "core" modules in application.

  eloy
--

       jak to dobrze, że są oceany - bez nich byłoby jeszcze smutniej