[Catalyst] Standalone Install Package?

Christopher H. Laco claco at chrislaco.com
Mon Dec 19 19:28:18 CET 2005

Sebastian Riedel wrote:

> Am 19.12.2005 um 18:10 schrieb Michael Richards:
>

>> On 12/19/05, Christopher H. Laco <claco at chrislaco.com> wrote: After
>> the email about a user switching to RoR because of all of the
>> [perceived?] install hassles on a shared host, I've been thinking about
>> if it would be nice to have an unzip-and-run version of Catalyst with
>> all of it's dependencies in the package itself.
>>

>> I may have misunderstood, but I thought the problem was that most
>> shared hosts don't provide the necessary prerequisites, such as
>> mod_perl or FastCGI. Yes, it can work in CGI mode but does anybody
>> actually do that for a real app?
>
> RoR performs much worse in every environment, so that can't be the problem.
> There are already many shared-hosting providers like DreamHost offering
> FastCGI, but installation takes a lot of time using CPAN.pm...
>
> A prepackaged Cat would also be a much nicer start for people new to Perl!

OK, I've started tinkering. I renamed my site lib directory in my perl
install, and I've started collecting things from 5.61 back needed to run
catalyst.pl/bat and get a test app up and running.

I'm sure it will go to hell quick;y when something needs xs, but I'll
deal with that bridge later. :-)

-=Chris