[Catalyst] Re: A few questions (possibly a FAQ)

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Tue Dec 20 14:30:24 CET 2005

Hi Uwe:

   Right now it is part of a larger build environment which builds a
working 5.8.7 perl with many modules we need for our product (working in
the sense of the right options are used for our application, which
include threading, large ints, etc. which the various distributions
didn't have, as well as the ability to build other modules such as
Mason).   We have done this in part due to the problems we have run into
using Linux distributions builds of Perl.  We have seen issues on
windows as well, and a goal of this (eventually) will be to make it work
under windows, though this is a lower priority for us at this moment.
Might work under Cygwin today.

    I am trying to get it to build a working Catalyst install (not a
minimalistic one, but a fully functional one), and have discovered the
joy of dependency purgatory.  Makes Mason's dependency tree look tame
(its not).

   This system will (upon completion) generate a competely functional
Perl tree + all our modules.  It wouldn't be hard to separate it out so
that it built a completely functional Perl tree + Catalyst modules.   If
someone wants that, please let me know, and we can post it.  It is a
work in progress so it might not be fully functional right now (it
isn't, as I keep adding little things like authentication).

Joe

--
Joseph Landman, Ph.D
Founder and CEO