[Catalyst] Standalone Install Package?

Christopher H. Laco claco at chrislaco.com
Tue Dec 20 14:47:52 CET 2005

Sebastian Riedel wrote:

> Am 20.12.2005 um 05:50 schrieb Kaare Rasmussen:
>
>>> OK, I've started tinkering. I renamed my site lib directory in my perl
>>> install, and I've started collecting things from 5.61 back needed to run
>>> catalyst.pl/bat and get a test app up and running.
>>
>> If you build such a thing, how about maintaining it?
>
> Good point!
> We need a build system for this.

Sounds like overkill to me, but I guess it depends on what the goal is
and how many modules we want in a download-and-run version.

Right now, it's simply an extlib directory with all the bits, and a
shell/bat script to point perl/path to it. The extlib directory is just
another @INC path.

I'm toying with the idea of moving from everything in extlib:

	use lib 'extlib';

	extlib/Catalyst.pm
	extlib/Catalyst/Base.pm
	extlib/URI.pm
	extlib/URI/Escape.pm

to everything in it's dist dir in extlib, and adding more @INC paths:

	use lib 'Catalyst';
	use lib 'URI';

	extlib/Catalyst/Catalyst.pm
	extlib/Catalyst/Catalyst/Base.pm
	extlib/URI/URI.pm
	extlib/URI/URI/Escape.pm

IT makes the shell/batch files more complicated, but it makes slogging
in a new version of a dist cleaner.

I probably should put the Catalyst test suite back in so we can test the
standalone stuff.

-=Chris