[Catalyst] Module::Install on package managed systems

Chisel Wright chisel at herlpacker.co.uk
Tue Dec 20 16:17:27 CET 2005

We've hit this problem at work installing Catalyst on Gentoo systems, I
don't doubt that other systems that package manage CPAN installs will
hit similar problems. I'm expecting similar issues when we deploy on
FreeBSD and Debian systems.

Basically the problem is that Module::Install tries to be helpful and
gives a list of required modules, and which are missing, and says
"Should I install the missing modules from CPAN?"

If you say yes, that's no good because they aren't package managed.
If you say no, the install aborts/breaks.
If you wait for 30 seconds (or aren't paying attention) the package
management script says "Time out!!" and says yes on your behalf.

This means that installing with Module::Install is now a case of sitting
and watching the output, hitting ctrl-C if M::I pops up any 'helpful'
messages, and then manually adding that module to the install list

ExtUtils:MM and Module::Build used to do "something" so that the pkg
manager knew the dependencies and pre-installed those. It would be dead
nice if M::I could do something similar.

As I don't properly understand the likes of ExtUtils:MM, M::B and M::I,
I've no idea how this might be resolved, but the new behaviour is a bit
of a pain.

Chisel
--
Chisel Wright
e: chisel at herlpacker.co.uk
w: http://www.herlpacker.co.uk/

No virus was found in this outgoing message as I didn't bother looking.