[Catalyst] Catalyst::Plugin::Authentication under ActivePerl 5.8.7.813

Carl Franks fireartist at gmail.com
Tue Dec 20 20:23:04 CET 2005

> Can anyone suggest a fix? The choice of OS is out of my control, but
> changing Perl distro is feasible provided there is a decent alternative.
> The choice seems to amount to just PXPerl, which uses cpan/cpanp for
> module installation. This would be nice, but unfortunately there are
> several modules (e.g. Template Toolkit) that have so far resisted all my
> attempts to compile them on Win32.

I too once thought those were my only options ;)

I've since learnt it's fairly easy to compile your own perl with the
free mingw gcc compiler.

I've had very few problems installing xs modules - and for those few I
have had problems (such as DBI and Image-Magick) I have a script that
gets the ppm for me from the kobes cpan-mirror and installs it into my
own perl install - with no binary compatibilty problems.

The big plus of doing this, is you can create .exe's with PAR and
redistribute them without having to get permission from ActiveState
(whom I never heard back from when I did ask about getting
permission).

Carl