[Catalyst] [Task] Building a better JavaScript (AJAX) toolkit

Don Arbow donarb at nwlink.com
Tue Dec 20 20:25:42 CET 2005

On Dec 20, 2005, at 8:20 AM, Drew Taylor wrote:

> Can you give me an example of where you might want to use JSON? I've
> read about it, but never looked into it much.

JSON allows you to load data from a site other than the originating
url, unlike XMLHTTPRequest. Without JSON, you would have to have some
sort of server proxy in order to get the data onto your page. The data
is returned as Javascript objects, so it is essentially eval'd directly
into the DOM, no XML parsing needed.

For an example, try this. This page provides a Yahoo search box that
works like Google Suggest. Yahoo helped in this case since they have a
JSON API available.
http://www.mindsack.com/uxe/SpiffySearch/

As for script.aculo.us, I just discovered MochiKit last night and I
believe I read in the Mochi mailing list that someone has already
ported some drag and drop code. Other widgets, I'm not sure.

Don