[Catalyst] "Catalyst - The Definitive Guide" and the "Catalyst Cookbook"

Charlton Wilbur cwilbur at tortus.com
Thu Dec 22 20:16:33 CET 2005

On Dec 22, 2005, at 11:13 AM, David K Storrs wrote:

> I would suggest dividing the book into two sections:  quick start
> and Everything There Is To Know.  The quick start section should be
> just that--a heavily emphasized section right at the front that
> says "Here is what you need to know to have your app running and
> doing useful things in 4 minutes, and doing 80% of what you need it
> to do in 30 minutes."

I'd like to strongly caution against this sort of hyperbolic time
estimate, because it's the sort of thing that registers with pointy-
haired bosses and buzzword fanatics and is impossible to get un-
registered.

I'm dealing with a client right now who has a complicated, finicky,
inconsistent, and ever-changing business model.  I'm the programmer
on the team that's putting his website together.  The *last* thing I
want to impinge on his consciousness is "doing 80% of what you need
your app to do in 30 minutes."  I couldn't put together the database
definition for his business model in 30 minutes, let alone get his
application running; in fact, the most difficult part of this whole
thing has not been programming but in wringing the business rules out
of him and getting him to make at least tentative decisions about his
business model.

Mind you, I think it's *great* that Catalyst lets me focus on the
problem domain and on client management rather than on the web fiddly
bits.  I'd just prefer to not have to deal with upset clients who
read somewhere that an entire web application could be 80% done
within 30 minutes, which means that it could be well past done within
an hour, and they're paying for two hours of my time so it had better
be perfect.

And Catalyst has several selling points beyond "you can get a toy app
running inside of an hour"; why not emphasize some of those as well
("using an MVC framework means you aren't tied to the web, and can
automate things without any less power"; "we have CPAN"; "object-
oriented development means you can modularize and unit-test
everything to help catch bugs"; or the one I'd like to see, "we make
AJAX in Perl painless for the developer and reliably cross-
platform"), to catch the attention of people who aren't working on
small applications?

Charlton

--
Charlton Wilbur