[Catalyst] Seen Jifty

David K Storrs dstorrs at dstorrs.com
Tue Dec 27 16:59:20 CET 2005

 From the Jifty FAQ:

> Early on, we were calling the framework JFDI.  That name doesn't
> scale into corporate America very well.

"Just Freaking Do It" ??   Yep, I can see why that might not be the
easiest sell to some suits.  :>

I really admire what they are trying to do and it will be interesting
to see what develops.  As to whether they are competition...I'd say
"not yet".  Still too new.  And, until they can sort this issue (*),
they won't be competition:

> How Do I Use Template::Toolkit instead of Mason?
>
> Question
>
> 	Wow, there are a lot of occurrences of the word Mason in the Jifty
> source code.
>
> Answer
>
> 	You do an awful lot of hacking. Part of the Jifty philosophy is
> that we provide (at least) one well integrated way to do everything
> you need to do. We're big fans of HTML::Mason - it's the templating
> toolkit that best fits with our model of things - so it's the
> toolkit that's well integrated into Jifty. We'd love to hear
> suggestions about how to get TT or other templating engines to
> support the bits we need.

(*) "This issue" referring not just to the specific point of using TT
vs Mason, but the larger issue of not having easily pluggable
components.  "Tightly integrated" is lovely when it matches what you
need / want, but it's a royal pain when it doesn't.

--Dks