[Catalyst] New Catalyst slogan

Stéphane Payrard stef at stefp.dyndns.org
Tue Dec 27 20:17:35 CET 2005

The Perl name is conspicously absent from the motto so far. :(

"Ruby on rails" is a great slogan because it advertises both the
language, the framework and imposes the idea of moving forward. In a
sense, the Ruby framework does not even have a name, it is not yet
another application it is a Ruby incarantion that moves forward.

Managers are afraid of mere languages because they want something
concrete, an almost physical product.  O'Reilly animal gave a body the
the abstraction they describe.  Ruby suggest an engine on a clear
course.

Scripting languages are the future. We can even hope that Parrot will
be the ecosystems for them. So it would  detrimental for the slogan to
attack Ror frontally. Better aknowledge Catalyst ancestry.

What bother me with rails is the idea of a forced direction.  A
notorious company which forces people in their direction did indeed a
image correction with "Where to you want to go today?" giving the
illusion that people were free to choose where to move.

On the other hand even if the direction is partly unclear, it already
has a name Web 2.0.

   Catalyst: Perl for Web 2.0
   Catalyst: the CPAN accelerator

Not very catchy, but my point is that either the Perl or CPAN name
must be part of the slogan.

--
  cognominal stef