[Catalyst] Catalyst Selling Points

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Wed Dec 28 21:10:01 CET 2005

Christopher H. Laco wrote:

> Yeah. It really is daunting. CPAN is Perls best attribute, and worst
> curse IMHO. It brings flexibility and reusibility, but makes is a pita
> the just download an app. I think a small part of the RoR success is the
> fact that they don't have CPAN, and don't have very many places/things
> to install to get up and running.

They use gem.  Same idea.  At then end of the process, the thing works.
  Quite similar to Catalyst, but it doesn't seem to compile nearly as
much stuff.

Par is helpful for stuff like this (hit the 3 major platforms and you
will cover most users).  RoR probably wont work out of the box on our
Itanium2, and I would be suprised to see pre-built modules for it.  But
for x86_64 and x86, and PPC, you need to hit linux, x86 windows, and OSX
PPC.  That will likely cover most users.  If you include DBD::SQLite and
a few other bits, people should be ready to go w/o compiling and doing
some testing.

Cat-in-the-box is a great idea (and I hear the downloadable RoR is what
makes Ruby so interesting, DL it and go, no assembly required).

Joe