[Catalyst] slides from YAPC

David Storrs dstorrs at dstorrs.com
Tue Jul 5 22:24:03 CEST 2005

On Jul 5, 2005, at 3:48 PM, Sebastian Riedel wrote:

> Am 05.07.2005 um 16:44 schrieb Perrin Harkins:
>
>> On Tue, 2005-07-05 at 13:25 +0200, Sebastian Riedel wrote:
>>
>>> Packaging is not just a strength of OI2, Catalyst has some very nice
>>> deployment features.
>>
>> I didn't see anything in the docs except a mention of a Module::Build
>> extension with no description.  What OI2 offers for packaging is the
>> ability to export a complete (templates, code, config, etc.)
>> application
>> from one machine and install it on another OI2 site, or bundle it
>> as a
>> CPAN distribution.
>
> Thats exactly what Catalyst does! :)
>
> --
> sebastian

I think it's more a question of documentation than capability.  If
both systems can /do/ exactly the same thing, then whichever one
documents it better is stronger in that department.

I don't think that any of us would argue that Catalyst's
documentation is not (yet) its strong point.  But that's changing.

In the interest of helping it along, I've got a
Manual::Tutorial::Background document that I'm putting together; I'm
going to go on record as saying that I will submit it for
consideration by Friday, July 15, 2005.  (I'm mostly going on record
in order to motivate myself to get it done--public embarrassment is
good at that.)  The purpose of this document is to provide the
background information that is needed in order to make sense of the
other Catalyst documents...in other words, a very brief exposure to
Apache setup/config, mod_perl, Template Toolkit, etc.

--Dks