[Catalyst] mapping application flow into a MVC framework (long)

Perrin Harkins perrin at elem.com
Mon Jul 11 18:37:19 CEST 2005

On Mon, 2005-07-11 at 08:42 -0700, Lance Braswell wrote:
> I want to be able to provide something
> like breadcrumbs at the top to navigate around the
> tree. But at each point of the user's location in the
> tree, the breadcrumbs have a different points of
> reference. For example using TT and CDBI, to get
> access to the current customer's name I need to have
> three different breadcrumb.tt templates with each one
> being relative to where I am in the tree. Namely to
> get to the customer name in the templates I would need
> to use variously customer.name, server.customer.name,
> and task.server.customer.name. I'm not sure if the is
> the correct way to handle it because it seems like I
> should be able to abstract the breadcrumbs out of the
> whole process and have a single  breadcrumbs template
> but then, presumably, the control logic of what to
> output is in the template itself.

The most common way to handle breadcrumbs on sites where you can reach
the same page in multiple ways is to keep a breadcrumb stack in the
user's session and just push things onto it when you drill down or reset
it when you cross-navigate.

There is also this:
http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2005/07/07/navwidgets.html

- Perrin