[Catalyst] Re: Controllers vs Models

Perrin Harkins perrin at elem.com
Mon Jun 6 19:48:30 CEST 2005

On Mon, 2005-06-06 at 12:40 -0500, Justin Tocci wrote:
> Closer to me or David?

You.

> Is '"domain" knowledge' referring to business logic or flow control
> or something else?

It's "business logic."  OO modeling literature often refers to "the
problem domain" or "domain objects" to mean something that is specific
to the problem you are working on rather than a totally generic
computing problem.

> I agree that flow control is necessitated by the web in a way that
> was unnecessary for desktop apps. However, in a simple desktop app,
> flow control is often left up to the user. They get a menu and can go
> where they wish. But more complex apps have always said they need to
> log in first, etc... Hmm, ok, this would be business logic more than
> flow control too I think.

There's hardly any useful distinction between the two in my opinion.

> By the way, what was the Model before it was "just a set of database
> access objects"?

It was the sum total of all your data and all the things it can do.
Most of the stuff that people write in their controller methods now
would have been part of the model.

- Perrin