[Catalyst] Controllers, Models and flow control

David Storrs dstorrs at dstorrs.com
Thu Jun 9 15:02:05 CEST 2005

On Jun 9, 2005, at 6:37 AM, Dominique Quatravaux wrote:

> Now I am under the impression that the "business logic" idea being
> discussed in this thread (which IMHO is somehow related to "widgets",

I generally agree with what you said, but I think this particular
point is off base.  Business logic is just the set of rules that
describe what operations should be carried out on the data, and how
the state should change.  "When selling to a customer in Europe, add
VAT tax to the price" is a business rule.  These things have nothing
to do with widgets...there may be widgets onscreen which are involved
in gathering information for, or expressing the results of, or
triggering, business rules, but those widgets are not part of the
business rule per se.

Other than that, though--you've got good points.

--Dks