[Catalyst] cannot install Catalyst on perl 5.6.1

michael reece mreece at sacbee.com
Fri Jun 10 19:57:48 CEST 2005

it _is_ possible, and i have it running on a production 5.6.1 server,
but it is "unsupported" and not entirely trivial.

note: some things will never work, such as proper utf8 support,
including Plucene and related.  but if it has to be done, and you
don't need utf8, it can be made to work.

  this particular error you getting is related to Class::Struct.
CPAN won't let you install a new version without installing perl.

i got around it by grabbing the source from http://search.cpan.org/
src/NWCLARK/perl-5.8.7/lib/Class/Struct.pm

'locate Struct.pm' (perhaps at /usr/lib/perl5/5.6.1/Class/Struct.pm)
and make a backup.  then copy the source from cpan, and paste it in.

while the new Struct.pm comes with newer perl, it does say "use
5.006_001;" and it does appear to work fine under 5.6.1.