[Catalyst] Guidelines on reuse for non-component code

Alexander Christian Westholm awestholm at broadband.com
Wed Jun 22 16:02:20 CEST 2005

All,

	I imagine a lot of people are going to have code that they'll want to
reuse amongst various Catalyst components, but which is specific enough
to the Catalyst app that they would want this code bundled in with the
rest of the component code (i.e., not in site_perl). I could have
glossed over it, but it seems that the docs don't mention anything on
this... I had initially tried to add some non-action code to my
application class, and hoped components would inherit them, but that
obviously doesn't work. A quick call to Data::Dumper later, and I
confirmed that the lib/ directory created by catalyst.pl is included in
@INC during runtime. This is under the test server, but presumably is
true for all execution environments (I'm sure Catalyst isn't
require()ing M/V/C components). Is it good practice to include code
that will be used by multiple components in a module under lib/ ? This
seems more sensible than implementing such code through inheritance
from the application class, since it's not directly tied to serving the
request. Some notes about this in the docs might be nice.

Alexander Westholm
Director of Information Technology
Broadband.com
awestholm at broadband.com