[Catalyst] New CRUD/Scaffolding module

Sebastian Riedel sri at oook.de
Thu Jun 23 22:46:04 CEST 2005

Am 23.06.2005 um 22:23 schrieb Perrin Harkins:

> On Thu, 2005-06-23 at 21:51 +0200, Lars Balker Rasmussen wrote:
>
>> I much prefer the "copied code" over an unintelligible
>> "do_magic_here()"[1],
>> precisely because scaffolding should be a starting point.
>>

> That sounds like a documentation problem to me.
>
> The trouble with copying the code around is that if you decide the
> CRUD
> stuff works for you except you need to change how it gets the form
> profile, you can't just override it in one place and make all your
> classes use it.  Instead, you have to either change it in multiple
> places or hack the code generator, or the generated code into a base
> class (in which case it might as well have been one in the first
> place).

Right, there is no all in wonder solution (i don't know a single real
world app that started with scaffolding), thats what i tryed to say...
So instead of hardcoding CRUD like Maypole did (even Simon agreed
that it was a bad bad idea), we just give you a simple to use api
with examples...

We don't make any philosophical decisions for you, you are free to
choose our code generator, some third party's code generator or some
base class to inherit from.

And i'm sure there will be more specific components to choose from in
the future, like base wikis, journals (already in trunk), forums...

--
sebastian