[Catalyst] What is the point of all these "wrapper modules" ?

Andy Grundman andy at hybridized.org
Thu Nov 3 17:40:05 CET 2005

Dami Laurent (PJ) wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I love the main core of Catalyst, but I don't understand why there are
> so many "wrapper modules" (Plugins, Views, Models).

In some cases the wrapper module may not be necessary, but in most cases
there is a good reason.  A lot of the 'wrapper' modules do a bit more
work, passing in the necessary Cat structures (i.e. $c->req->params) to
the external module so you don't have to worry about it.  See for
example, FormValidator, FillInForm.

In general any form module can benefit from a wrapper that takes care of
that kind of stuff.  In the case of FormBuilder, I wish there was a
plugin, because it's not obvious how to integrate it with a Cat app.

-Andy