When Camels Fly... Re: [Catalyst] New http://catalyst.perl.org

Corey corey_s at qwest.net
Sat Nov 5 03:02:31 CET 2005

On Saturday 05 November 2005 01:03 am, Sebastian Riedel wrote:
> Am 26.11.2005 um 06:50 schrieb Corey:
> > It all comes back to the lego camel.  We need a lego camel.  With
> > wings.
>
> Agreed! :)

The way I see it, there's three ways we can gain access to a winged lego
camel:

* We get someone to build one out of actual lego's and we get a photo

* We get someone to draw one, either by hand or via computer

* We get someone to render one in 3d via open-gl or something

So, the next question - is where in the world do we find someone able and
willing to do one of the above?

The internet.  ( of course )

There's a veritable cornucopia of opportunity at our finger tips. All we need
to do is strategize and execute.

For each one of the above 3 options, we locate a few of the most popular
community web-sites, mailing lists and newsgroups.  ( lugnet.com,
blender.org, gimp-user, comp.graphics.api.opengl , etc. etc. whatever )

We also come up with a short and polite, but alluring/enticing request which
describes what we're looking for. A camel, preferably in the likeliness of
the one we're all familar with ( The Camel Book  ), built/drawn/rendered from
the standard selection of multi-colored lego building bricks[tm] -- taking
wing.

We then form three different groups/teams/volunteers from to hit the prior
mentioned web-sites, mailing lists and newsgroups with our request.

Make a good-natured, good-humored contest out of it - winner gets nothing
other than whatever satisfaction and glory comes in being the creator of the
Catalyst mascot/logo.

So whud'ya guys think?

With the big 5.50 release announcement coming up, we have perfect opportunity
for getting the word out via the likes of slashdot, perl.com/org, lwn.net and
whatnot - you know, "Catalyst 5.5 Released" and oh yeah, they have a
logo/mascot contest going too.

Beers!

Corey