[Catalyst] Why Catalyst instead of Ruby on Rails?

Sebastian Riedel sri at oook.de
Sat Nov 12 02:38:12 CET 2005

Am 12.11.2005 um 01:34 schrieb Philip Edelbrock:
> As a last note: I'm a little harsh on Rails in this thread.  I'm
> having a blast with Rails, and it's a well written package with a
> lot of great thinking behind it.  What I don't like is that it's
> over-sold to be the end-all-be-all solution, as well as having a
> lot of marketing and hype 'synergy' behind it that fills it's
> mailling list with noobs.

They have to deal with noobs, we have to face the Perl community.

I'm not sure it is possible at all to write a successful tight
integrated framework for Perl.
When we added the new welcome page which originally included some
suggestions for components to choose, we listed Mason and TT as view
options.
Nearly instantly HTML::Template fans flooded my inbox asking why H::T
became a second class citizen in Catalyst land! :)

And that was just a welcome page... (we later decided to remove that
section and instead link to http://cpansearch.perl.org/search?
query=catalyst%3A%3Aview&mode=all)

--
sebastian