[Catalyst] Remove .pl from scripts?

Johan Lindström johanl at DarSerMan.com
Sat Nov 19 09:56:49 CET 2005

At 01:38 2005-11-19, Christopher H. Laco wrote:
>#2. Windows hates to run files without file extensions, They may or may
>not be an issue. Windows cones with catalyst.bat, which runs when you
>type C:> catalyst MyApp.  IF the perl script were named the same thing,
>that may not work. Windows people would be forced to always doing perl
>catalyst.pl.

As a Windows user, I'll second that objection.

Things that are marked up as scripts and installed in the system are
converted to batch files by "nmake install" or "perl Build install". That's
why it works to run "catalyst".

But this isn't the case when it comes to the scripts in the script
directory. They are run with "script\myapp_create.pl ..." and as such
Windows needs the extension to figure out its Perl. These may be installed
and converted to bat if I would install my app, but the batch files are not
available during development.

IIRC, the objection to .pl was a cosmetic one (and I agree on that). But
let form follow function on this one please.

/J