[Catalyst] Another take on the instant paging and sort example

Zbigniew Lukasiak zzbbyy at gmail.com
Sun Nov 20 22:00:57 CET 2005

This time I hope it is aligned to catalyst creed.  I created two
helpers: one for paging and sort controller scaffolding and one for
CDBI::Sweet and a shell script to run all needed helpers.  I had some
problems to make the helper for Sweet database independent so my is a
bit bound to PostgreSQL, but I hope with your help I'll correct it.
There are no tests for the helpers - this is still only an example.

Instructions:
1. install the helpers (standard perl packages)
2. create the database table, with the attached SQL script
3. edit the generator script to accomodate to local needs
4. run the generator
5. edit the generated main application package to add the
FormValidator plugin, and uncomment the end action (just like in the
movie)

In some future version I'll try to make the database creation included
in the generator script, at least for SQLite, and add some generator
for the main application package.  After this the creation of
localized examples will be just three steps and I think that is as
simple as it can be.

I still am not happy with the catalyst helpers.  In  my opinion we
don't really need separate helpers for models, controlers and the
rest.  The value of the helpers is in connecting all the components so
writing separate helpers agnostic to other componets only complicates
things.  I think my generator script shows that - it feels too
complicated.

I am waiting for comments.

-- zby