[Catalyst] Catalyst/Internet Explorer strangeness

Andy Grundman andy at hybridized.org
Mon Nov 21 17:41:35 CET 2005

Will Hawes wrote:
> I've noticed under recent releases that while running under the test
> server, I get some very strange behaviour from Internet Explorer. When
> submitting a form via HTTP post, it does one of the following:

Yes, the same thing happens to me, but some others are just fine, even
with the same exact IE version!  I thought it might be fixed with the
keep-alive HTTP engine update in 5.57, but I saw it again last night so
it may still be broken.  Try 5.57 and try using the -k keep-alive switch
  and see if it makes any difference.

> 1) Times out and shows the IE "Cannot find server or DNS error" page.
> 2) Sends the HTTP POST correctly, but then (according to the debug
> output from the test server) immediately sends a GET request to the same
> URI it just POSTed to.

For me, IE actually makes 2 POST requests to the same page.  I've traced
it with both ngrep and tcpdump but can't make any sense out of it.

> This behaviour goes away when I run the same app under Apache/mod_perl.
> Everything works fine using both Firefox and Opera under the test server
> or Apache.

Right, it's only a problem with the HTTP engine.

-Andy