[Catalyst] O'Reilly's answer to our Winged-Lego-Camel

Robin Berjon robin.berjon at expway.fr
Tue Nov 22 13:00:11 CET 2005

On Nov 22, 2005, at 00:11, Christopher H. Laco wrote:
> "Camel" being the key word. We can just claim it's a llama or
> alpaca. :-)

Or in fact a dromedary, since they claim theirs is a camel even
though it has only one hump.

But there's something I don't get, could they have believed that the
Catalyst page was commercial (because it looks too good :)? From
http://perl.oreilly.com/pub/a/oreilly/perl/usage/faq.html:

"""
Q: I want to place a picture of a camel on my Perl web page. Am I
allowed to do that? Do I have to use your camel?
A: Yes, as long as your page is non-commercial, and the context in
which the camel is placed portrays Perl in a positive light. You will
need to include the following language in small text somewhere on the
page where the camel appears:
   "The use of a camel image in association with Perl is a trademark
of O'Reilly Media, Inc. Used with permission."
Please make the "O'Reilly Media, Inc." part of the statement a link
to our home page (http://www.oreilly.com).
We'd encourage you to use the camel we use, as it has wide
recognition as "the Perl camel." But if you have another camel you'd
like to use on a non-commercial site, you can do so as long as the
image is in no way derogatory. (However, you still would need to
include the acknowledgement line, as we claim a trademark on the
relationship between any camel and Perl.)
"""

It seems to me they got the wrong idea.

--
Robin Berjon