[Catalyst] Choosing the right ORM

John Siracusa siracusa at mindspring.com
Mon Nov 28 14:43:08 CET 2005

On 11/28/05 8:00 AM, catalyst at augensalat.de wrote:
> Whereas Catalyst very much meets most of my requirements, CDBI starts to
> become cumbersome if tasks are more sophisticated, e.g. handle many
> databases, mod_perl and Apache::DBI, m:n relations...
>
> There are other ORMs available, but only one, DBIx::Class gets some
> attention here.
>
> How about Alzabo or Rose::DB::Object or maybe others?
> Anybody here who has tried any of them and would share some experiences?

FWIW, I'm willing to help anyone who wants to make a ::Model::RDBO class.
I'll probably eventually make one myself, but I'm still busy with other
things right now (like actual RDBO development :)

I also think it'd be interesting to create a set of Model::* classes that
share the same API.  Right now, they sort of do, thanks to the Class::DBI
compatibility mode of DBIx::Class.  But that just covers two (well, three
with CDBI::Sweet) modules, and the CDBI API is not a very feature-rich
common denominator.

Ideally, ORMs should be interchangeable without requiring any app code
changes, and without sacrificing any features.  What we need is a sort of
meta-ORM layer with ORM-specific "driver" layers.  Gack, it never ends... ;)

-John