[Catalyst] History / Diffs in applications

Bill Moseley moseley at hank.org
Tue Nov 29 16:26:14 CET 2005

Really two somewhat off topic questions to see if anyone has
suggestions how to do a few things:

In the past I have used postgresql to write a history of changes on
updates.  CDBI (and other ORMs) have triggers to do this, too.  That's
handy because the history can be part of the model and I don't have to
worry about it in my controllers.

One problem is that I want to record the user that made the change,
and that info is known only by Catalyst.  So, that would seem to mean
I'd need to manage the history records in my controllers.  Is that
how others are doing this?  I suppose I could set a global and let the
model look at that in my trigger.

Second, I'd like to add some revision control to some of my textarea
fields -- namely be able to look at previous versions, diffs, and be
able to restore from previous versions.  Any suggestions on
tools/plugins and perhaps interface examples?

Thanks,

--
Bill "never hurts to ask" Moseley
moseley at hank.org