[Catalyst] Auth::Store::DBIC and hashed pwds

Caroline Johnston johnston at biochemistry.ucl.ac.uk
Tue Nov 29 17:54:26 CET 2005

Hi guys,

Think I need a bit of hand-holding setting up a login component with the
new Auth/Session stuff. I'm using C::P::A::Store::DBIC (with CDBI),
which seems to be fine, except that I thought I should probably encrypt my
passwords in the DB, so I tried

  password_type:        'hashed'
  password_hash_type:    'SHA-1'

in my config. Now I get an error that C::P::A::Store::DBIC::User can't
->password_pre_salt. Is this just a case of adding that method to CPASDU?
If so, what's an appropriate salt? I'm not sure I totally understand the
purpose of the salt in the first place, so I don't know whether I have to
have a different one per user, or just an application-wide one set in the
config or...erm...help?

Cheers,

Cxx