[Catalyst] Catalyst::component()

Wade.Stuart at fallon.com Wade.Stuart at fallon.com
Tue Oct 4 16:58:33 CEST 2005

catalyst-bounces at lists.rawmode.org wrote on 10/04/2005 03:24:09 AM:

> Am 04.10.2005 um 09:00 schrieb Bernhard Graf:
>
> > it would be very nice if this method gets fixed for the 5.50 release.
> >
> > See http://lists.rawmode.org/pipermail/catalyst/2005-August/
> > 001464.html
> > and
> > http://lists.rawmode.org/pipermail/catalyst/2005-September/001728.html
>
> Yes, i'd like that too, but we are very careful with compatibility
> breaking changes (as you may have noticed).
>
> Are there more people interested in this change, and how should $c-
>  >component() exactly work?

I would like it fixed up to match peoples expectations a little better.
The new versions should DWIM.  If I pass a string to them, assume that they
are to look for a specific component without using a regex,  if I pass a
regex then use that to search for the first hit. That said I would like to
see a new name for the fixed version and depreciate the old version so as
to keep backwards compatibility,  while littering the docs and changelogs
with $c->comp is depreciated use $c->whatever instead -- support will be
gone in Cat 6.0 or whatever.

Does this make sense?