[Catalyst] flamage level considered harmful

Toby Corkindale tjc at wintrmute.net
Wed Oct 5 16:06:10 CEST 2005

On Fri, Sep 30, 2005 at 12:34:55PM +0200, Dominique Quatravaux wrote:
> Matt S Trout wrote:
>
> > I think waswas was just getting frustrated because you seemed to be
> > asking the same question over and over even after you'd been given
> > what seemed to him (and to me) to be an answer that pretty much
> > covered your available options.
>
> This is hardly an excuse for bordering rudeness. And I can't see any
> reason for *you*, a member of the Catalyst team, to condone this kind
> of attitude on the project's list. Unless you want Catalyst to go the
> way of so many otherwise excellent open-source project teams who
> simply cannot be bothered to market themselves.

Hi,
I've been away since late last week, so am just catching up on email here.
I'd just like to say that Wade and I discussed things further off-list, and
realised we had a few misunderstandings that we cleared up.

When you're dealing with strangers on mailing lists by email, it can be hard
to work out the subtler nuances of what they're saying. Wade realised that
some of what he had said had been misconstrued, and was partially based on
out-of-band communication I was unaware of, and he apologised.

 From my point of view, the misunderstanding goes back to the start of the
thread, when Matt mentioned something to look at, and I immediately suggested
that I thought that would be quite tricky and probably rather hard to do
portably - and asked if anyone had advice on a good way to go about it though,
because I wrongly assumed that if it had been suggested, then perhaps I was
missing something that would allow it to be done properly. Actually Matt meant
the opposite, but I didn't pick that up.

Wade's comments were based on the knowledge (from IRC) of what Matt had meant,
and had not realised I didn't know it myself.

Anyway, we sorted things out amicably off-list, so there is no need for this
thread to continue. I just thought I'd mention that from my point of view for
closure.

tjc

--
Turning and turning in the widening gyre/The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
Things fall apart, the centre cannot hold/Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world