[Catalyst] New default screen for Catalyst.

Wade.Stuart at fallon.com Wade.Stuart at fallon.com
Wed Oct 19 19:19:57 CEST 2005

> Maybe I'm oversimplifying things...what about serving the logo from
> catalyst.perl.org?
>
> In an ideal world, I would just expect that catalyst.pl MyApp would
> simply copy the logo into the new Myapp/root directory and serve it.
> Unfortunatly, static content serving issues rears it's ugly head in a
> newly created app.

It is generally considered unsavory to have pingbacks in perl modules (one
of more vocal pingback haters is Merlyn) or in apps in general.

IMHO there is no need to bring something as ugly as external image link
(pingbacks) into the default page.

> <crazyidea>
> Is there any reason that, as an exception to the rule, Catalyst 5.5
> could include the static plugin as part of it's install package?
>
> I know the point of plugins is to keep the core simple, but in this
> case, serving static content is a pretty big expected out-of-the-box
> feature...without the user having to go through installing a plugin and
> tweaking MyApp.pm..
> <crazyidea>

I don't think so,  I think when you look at Catalyst "out of the box" you
are surprised that it has a self hosting dev web server and all the goodies
it already has.  Static serving is bloat, yet pretty darn easy to install
and configure -- let sites that want to use it download the plugins,  hell
it is a good intro to the world of plugins...