OT: Templating systems (was RE: [Catalyst] New default screen for Catalyst)

Christopher Hicks chicks at chicks.net
Fri Oct 21 11:31:29 CEST 2005

On Fri, 21 Oct 2005, Sam Vilain wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-10-19 at 17:46 +0200, arnaud at underlands.org wrote:
>>> Personally, I don't see how HTML::Template is any different from how I
>>> use TT, except:
>>> 1. It's more verbose <TMPL_VAR NAME=FOO> versus [% foo %]
>> It *enforces* a stronger separation between code and presentation.
>
> I would disagree with this.  I think by being so inflexible, it just
> shifts a lot of the presentation work into the code that feeds the data
> to the page.  In my view I should be able to substitute the HTML
> template with an XML template and not worry about whether the code that
> pre-prepares the HTML to put in the template needs to change.

Amen.  HTML::Template has driven up the wall with this intentional
limitation and every time I run into it I whine about lack of templating
system interchangability.  We need a SAX for Perl's templating systems,
but getting the factions to buy off would be a political miracle.

--
</chris>

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)