[Catalyst] So, what things make Catalyst cool for you?

Sebastian Riedel sri at oook.de
Sat Oct 29 23:04:56 CEST 2005

Am 29.10.2005 um 21:13 schrieb Matt S Trout:

> Given I appear to have volunteered to talk up Catalyst at the
> London Web
> Frameworks Night (http://blog.unixdaemon.net/cgi-bin/blosxom.pl/
> 2005/10/27),
> I'd like to know what features are the "killer" ones for our users
> and why?

First, thanks for taking the task!

And some things i like.

1. The method to uri mapping is just awesome. :)
     sub foo : Path('/index.html') {}
     sub foo : Global {}
     sub foo : Local {}
     sub foo : Regex('^(.*)\.html$') {}

2. The engine layer, your Cat apps work exactly the same on all
platforms (cgi, fcgi, mod_perl1/1.99/2)

3. The plugin system, you can change/extend everything with plugins.

4. The directory structure, your Cat app is a usual CPAN module and
is installable as such.

5. The easy CPAN integration, wrapping existing modules into
components and plugins is usually just a few lines of code.

6. The freedom of choice, there are alternatives for all components
(TT, Mason, DBIC, Tangram...), you can even use multiple in a single
app.

7. The developer features, built in test-server, verbose logs, debug
screen...

8. The future, Catalyst is the perfect platform for next generation
frameworks (continuations, generic base classes...).

P.S.: You should make clear that we are no Rails clone, try to show
them their weaknesses instead (Rails for example: no engine
independent abstraction layer, no CPAN, no alternatives, no unicode,
no I18n, slow, no multiple inheritance, no method meta data like our
attributes, smaller userbase, less commercial support...). :)

--
sebastian