[Catalyst] So, what things make Catalyst cool for you?

Pedro Melo melo at simplicidade.org
Sun Oct 30 00:14:55 CEST 2005

Hi,

On Oct 29, 2005, at 10:04 PM, Sebastian Riedel wrote:

> Am 29.10.2005 um 21:13 schrieb Matt S Trout:
>
>> Given I appear to have volunteered to talk up Catalyst at the London
>> Web
>> Frameworks Night
>> (http://blog.unixdaemon.net/cgi-bin/blosxom.pl/2005/10/27),
>> I'd like to know what features are the "killer" ones for our users
>> and why?
>
> 1. The method to uri mapping is just awesome. :)
>     sub foo : Path('/index.html') {}
>     sub foo : Global {}
>     sub foo : Local {}
>     sub foo : Regex('^(.*)\.html$') {}

this is one of the best things. It makes a very clean code base with
enforced separation of actions per method.

> 3. The plugin system, you can change/extend everything with plugins.

plugins are also very nice, and very light. Promotes reuse with other
CPAN modules, because its very easy to wrap a CPAN module in a plugin.

> 5. The easy CPAN integration, wrapping existing modules into
> components and plugins is usually just a few lines of code.

yep, see previous.

> 7. The developer features, built in test-server, verbose logs, debug
> screen...

The debug screen, with the DefaultEnd plugin and the dump_info
parameter are excellent time-savers during development.

> P.S.: You should make clear that we are no Rails clone, try to show
> them their weaknesses instead (Rails for example: no engine
> independent abstraction layer, no CPAN, no alternatives, no unicode,
> no I18n, slow, no multiple inheritance, no method meta data like our
> attributes, smaller userbase, less commercial support...). :)

If Catalyst is no RoR clone, don't mention RoR: use your time to talk
about Catalyst.

Best regards,
--
Pedro Melo