[Catalyst] RFC: Catalyst based ERP

Kaare Rasmussen kaare at jasonic.dk
Mon Oct 31 09:21:32 CET 2005

Hi David

> Dashboard (don't knock it, it's a lightweight system that works),  my time
> is tracked using OfficeTime (which also generates my  invoices), my
> cashflow is in QuickBooks...the list goes on and on.

I think that your situation looks very much like most other developers :-)

> - Better searching through my mail.  The OS X Mail program's  searching is

Hmm. I'm thinking ERP in the classical "business" sense. Some of your ideas
are interesting, and I think that most of them could be linked together.

> - An up-to-the-minute graph showing revenue earned from each client  vs
> time spent on that client, so that I can tell when it's time to  fire a
> client.

Goes in the "project module" bin :-)

> - Tracking on how long it usually takes a client to pay.

Accounts receivable. Check.

> various apps I'm using--if there was an interface for adding 'Todo'  items
> that was as easy as jotting a note on a Dashboard Sticky, and  that would

Looking for something like that myself. While I don't think that I will do
this - at least in the foreseeable future - I could put a project wish list
together.

> allow me to move the notes around the screen, that would  be great.  If
> the notes could include hyperlinks to client  information, calendars, wiki
> pages, etc, that would be great.

Also some kind of task <-> task connection.

> - A built in wiki which supported ACLs on a per-page level so that I
> could prevent certain users from accessing certain parts of the  site.

There are people doing wikis in Catalyst. Maybe a proposition for them?

> That's right off the top of my head.  If I sat down for an hour or  so, I
> could generate a list ten times as long.  That should be enough  to keep
> you busy, though.

Well, don't hold back. You could send to me off list, if you think that
other people will be bored. I'm not.