[Catalyst] So, what things make Catalyst cool for you?

John Beppu john.beppu at gmail.com
Mon Oct 31 16:00:20 CET 2005

> And some things i like.
>
> 1. The method to uri mapping is just awesome. :)
> sub foo : Path('/index.html') {}
> sub foo : Global {}
> sub foo : Local {}
> sub foo : Regex('^(.*)\.html$') {}
>
> 2. The engine layer, your Cat apps work exactly the same on all
> platforms (cgi, fcgi, mod_perl1/1.99/2)
>
> 3. The plugin system, you can change/extend everything with plugins.
>
> 4. The directory structure, your Cat app is a usual CPAN module and
> is installable as such.
>
> 5. The easy CPAN integration, wrapping existing modules into
> components and plugins is usually just a few lines of code.
>
> 6. The freedom of choice, there are alternatives for all components
> (TT, Mason, DBIC, Tangram...), you can even use multiple in a single
> app.
>
> 7. The developer features, built in test-server, verbose logs, debug
> screen...
>
> 8. The future, Catalyst is the perfect platform for next generation
> frameworks (continuations, generic base classes...).

sri covered a lot. For me,
1, 2, 4, 7 and 8
have been the most helpful.

Comments:

1. on using attributes for handler-to-uri mapping: This is one of the most
clever things I've ever seen done in perl, and it makes me wish I knew more
about attributes so that I could apply it elsewhere in my own work.

2. on engine independence: At work, I'm the one who usually sets up the more
junior programmers (because a lot of them are new to Unix and it would take
them a long time to set up Apache by themselves). With that said, allowing
them to run a site using the built-in server has been a god-send. Also, our
technical director wants to transition to Apache2, and it feels good knowing
that we won't have to recode anything that was done with Catalyst.

4. on the CPAN-friendly directory structure: I'm a big fan of the
CPAN-styled layout, and I'm happy that I can make a distribution out of a
whole site. It certainly makes deployment easier.

7. on the developer-friendly features: The built-in test server, verbose
error_log, and debug screen are all quite helpful. Sometimes, I wish the
output were a bit less verbose, but that's not a big deal.

8. on the use of advanced programming techniques: I've always been a fan of
sophisticated programming. To me, being able to write clean, concise, and
powerful code is a reward in itself.