[Catalyst] Catalyst future again

Sebastian Riedel sri at oook.de
Thu Sep 1 20:26:04 CEST 2005

Hi,

Quick news summary of recent development activities, for those who
are not yet on the irc channel. ;)

* Andy Wardley spent some time improving the TT view and on a new
helper named Catalyst::Helper::View::TTSite.
   The helper is much more verbose than the default one and creates
"everything" you need for a TT powered Catalyst app (templates,
macros, directories...), i'm sure all advanced TT users will love it.

   http://dev.catalyst.perl.org/browser/trunk/Catalyst-View-TT/

* We have started a new "refactored" branch which will hopefully soon
get merged with trunk for the next release.
    It is 99% (that 1% will be only noticeable for some plugin
developers) API compatible with 5.33, but feature the following goodies:

     - New core, engine and dispatcher are now objects. (will make it
possible to run multiple instances of the same app under mod_perl)
     - Less engines, the core distribution only includes Test, CGI,
FCGI and HTTP engines, all others will be maintained as separate
packages. (better maintainability and 100% test coverage for core
distribution!)
     - We now make a difference between body and query parameters,
adding $c->request->query_parameters and $c->request-
 >body_parameters, $->request->parameters still contains both.
     - Streaming IO, we added $c->request->handle and $c->response-
 >handle containing the IO handles, so you can directly read and
write to/from them, header parsing and generation just works, you
don't have to care about it.
       Body parameters and uploads are only parsed on-demand, so only
when you access $c->request->body/parameters/body_parameters/uploads,
leaving the input handle untouched otherwise.
     - New body parser, we now use HTTP::Body for everything. (will
make upload progress bars possible, for all engines!)

   http://dev.catalyst.perl.org/browser/branches/refactored/

All features are already implemented and need a lot of testing now,
so report if your existing apps break!

--
sebastian