[Catalyst] Speed issue ?

Steve Atkins steve-catalyst at blighty.com
Fri Sep 2 17:30:30 CEST 2005

On Fri, Sep 02, 2005 at 05:19:31PM +0200, Bernard FRIT wrote:
> I just set up a CRUD application customizing Hops code (thanks to
> Simon Ilyushchenko) and I did a few tests using Catalyst server, CGI
> engine, SpeedyCGI engine.
>
> Catalyst internal server is pretty fast :

> CGI engine is slow

> SpeedyCGI engine is only a little bit faster

> All this is running on a test server without any load.
>
> Are such differences normal or is there something wrong in the config ?

That's pretty usual for perl. With CGI you need to initialise perl and
compile your entire application for every page hit. For a task as
simple as rendering a single page that's a huge overhead.

SpeedyCGI and the builtin server both compile the app once or just a
few times (that's the whole point of fastcgi / speedycgi), so don't
have that overhead.

Cheers,
  Steve