[Catalyst] installing Catalyst on Debian 3.1 Stable (Sarge) using Apt

Alessio Bragadini alessio at sevenseas.org
Mon Sep 5 12:47:07 CEST 2005

On Sun, 2005-09-04 at 19:31 -0700, David Christensen wrote:

> I'm a Catalyst newbie who would like to try out Catalyst on my Debian 3.1 Stable
> (Sarge) machine.  I'd prefer using the Apt package management system rather than
> going to CPAN or source (I've damaged machines by going outside their intended
> package management system, so I now avoid that).

I suggest that you build missing Debian packages with dh-make-perl, on
most Perl packages this is trivial, on some of them it may be a little
tricky. Once you have packages you may define your upgrade policies
using the many options that dpkg and apt provide, like locking a certain
module to a specific release.

Currently I am running Catalyst only on Fedora- or Red Hat Linux-based
systems with RPM packages, I have built all needed Perl modules up to
Catalyst as RPMs and I find it really useful. The cpan2rpm tool is
actually superior to dh-make-perl IMHO.

--
Alessio Bragadini <alessio at sevenseas.org>
Sevenseas.org Hacking Community