[Catalyst] Cached TT w/mod_perl issue? Or just a Toby-bug?

Chisel Wright chisel at herlpacker.co.uk
Wed Sep 28 23:53:31 CEST 2005

On Wed, Sep 28, 2005 at 12:30:59PM -0500, Wade.Stuart at fallon.com wrote:
> I would not, I was listing it because it is one of the options.  As you
> seem to want "easy" options where "... considered using the setgid trick to
> retain permissions,
> but past experience of setgid is that it always ends up getting
> lostsomewhere, accidentally. (eg. Someone copies directories without
> realising they need to maintain it)" type of issues may be avoided.  Mind
> you, that you may also mount filesystems read only to protect from those
> pesky "rm -rf /" issues.

I don't think "bugger, I missed a chmod" and "rm -rf /" are comparable
really ...

> bit on this.  But alas,  If you cant handle 4 command lines to do so (or
> making a script to change that to 1 command line if you do it umpteen times
> a day),  or if you think the people managing your servers and apps cant
> handle a 4 command line or 1 script exec prereq I have no idea how you
> expect them to setup apache/mod_perl/mysql not to mention the recursive
> dependances nightmare that is the Catalyst install.  Hell, if you want them
> created "on startup" modify your httpd startup script to do so.

I can't see where Toby said that he couldn't handle writing a 4 command
script! I think you're making unreasonable assertions about the
capabilites of Toby and his sysadmin here.

I can see Toby's point - my apache starts up as root then forks off
apache-run kiddies.

I've had times where I'd have liked to do write-access tests in
startup.pl myself, unfortunately I'm still running as root at the time,
so of course I can write "there".

Yes, I /could/ investigate changing my whole apache setup to never do
anything as root [I'd have to investigate how to get non-root to bind to
port 80, but I guess there are ways to do this].
At the same time it would be nice to find a solution for the setup that
I have [which seems very similar to Toby's on reading this thread]

Replies to this thread are coming across as quite hostile, and I can't
really see any need for it.
We're all on the same side here aren't we?

Chisel
--
Chisel Wright
e: chisel at herlpacker.co.uk