[Catalyst] Easier catalyst installation

Matt S Trout dbix-class at trout.me.uk
Tue Apr 4 20:41:12 CEST 2006

Carl Franks wrote:
> On 04/04/06, Carl Franks <fireartist at gmail.com> wrote:
>> You could also try vanilla perl, which is currently at 5.8.8
>> http://camelpack.sourceforge.net/index.php/VanillaPerl
>>
>> Once ExtUtils::Install is updated (hopefully in the next couple days),
>> we'll upload a new vanilla perl, bundled with it.
>> (Which will fix the omnipresent windows problem of not being able to
>> upgrade core modules through CPAN.pm, because windows can't replace a
>> .dll in use.)
>
> Ah, I just read the source of cat-install, and it requires ppm on win32
> VanillaPerl doesn't come with ppm, I have managed to build it though.

Actually, it uses ppm to get round the fact that even with nmake and a gcc,
some things just damn well don't build. Fortunately, the intersection of "damn
well won't build" and "doesn't have a ppm" seems to currently be zero.

If the intersection of "damn well won't build" and "is a Catalyst dependency"
is zero under VanillaPerl, lack of ppm won't matter :)