[Catalyst] Email group of people

Perrin Harkins perrin at elem.com
Wed Apr 5 03:12:22 CEST 2006

All you really need to do is avoid the slow SMTP delivery to foreign
servers.

> - Write the mail and list of recipients to the database and then let
> cron process them later?

That's what I do.  I already have a queue system like this in place for
other reasons, but cron should be fine.  This one scales well.  More
work than necessary though, for this amount of mail.

> - Get all I need out of the database and then fork and send the mail?

I've learned not to think that will be easy.  Very hard to debug.

> - Just do $c->email in a loop and use some kind of please wait
> screen?

If you have a local SMTP server or something like qmail-inject, that
will be the simplest route and will work fine for this much mail.  See
also http://modperlbook.org/html/appa_09.html.

- Perrin